What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages of A Computer System
A Computer is an advanced electronic device that takes raw data as input from the user and process these data under the control of some set of instructions (called programs) and gives the result (output) on the required format and saves the output for the future use. A Computer can process both numerical and non-numerical (arithmetic and logical) calculations. Like everything computer has also some merits and demerits. Below are the list of advantages and disadvantages of a modern computer system..
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF A COMPUTER
Following are the list of some advantages of a computer
- High Speed
- High Accuracy
- Reduction in Paper Work
- Reduction In Cost
- Computer is a very fast device.
- It is capable of performing calculations of very large amount of data.
- Computer has units of speed in microseconds, nanoseconds and even in picoseconds.
- It can perform millions of calculations in a few seconds as compared to man who will spend several months for doing the same task.
- In addition to being very fast, computers accuracy is consistently high.
- The calculations are 100% error free.
- Computers perform all jobs with 100% accuracy provided that correct input and instruction given.
- Errors in the machinery can occur, but the same is due to human rather than technological weakness i.e. Wrong input or wrong instructions.
- Memory is a very important characteristics of a computer.
- A computer has much more storage capacity than human beings.
- It can storage large amount of data as per its capacity.
- It can store any type of data such as images, videos, text, audio and many others.
- Unlike human beings, a computer is free from monotony, tiredness and lack of concentration.
- It can work continuously without any error and boredom.
- It can do repeated work with same speed and accuracy.
- It can do all the assigned work with full concentration with full accuracy and error free.
- A computer is a very versatile machine.
- It is very flexible in performing the jobs to be done.
- It can be used to solve the problems related to various fields at any moment.
- At one instance, it may be solving a complex scientific problem and the very next moment it may be playing a card game.
- A computer is a reliable machine.
- Modern electronic components have long lives.
- Computers are designed to make easy maintenance.
- Computer is an automatic machine.
- Automation means ability to perform the given task automatically.
- Once a program is given to computer i.e. stored in computer memory, the program and instruction can control the program execution without human interaction.
Reduction in Paper Work
- Use of computer within an organization reduces the paper work as all the data and required information is stored on the computer.
- As the data are stored in the computer, so the maintenance of large number of paper files are also reduced.
- Computer reduces the paper work, but it cannot completely stop the use of paper documents ate on some cases paper documents are necessary to use.
Reduction in Cost
- Initial investment for a computer is high but after that it will reduces the cost for each of its transaction/operation.
WHAT ARE THE DISADVANTAGES OF A COMPUTER
Following are the list of some disadvantages of a Computer:
- No I.Q.
- No Feelings
- A computer is a machine that has no intelligence to perform any task.
- Each instruction has to be given.
- It cannot take any decision on its own.
- It only follows the instruction given to him as data and process it.
- It functions as per a user’s instruction, so it is fully dependent on human being.
- Computers have no feelings or emotions.
- It cannot make judgment based on feeling, taste, experience, and knowledge unlike a human being.
- The operating environment of computer should be dust free and suitable.
- If the operating environment is not suitable then Computer will not able to perform properly.